PS21 hosted two January workshops on affordable housing — a ‘vision and education’ session that drew 150 people and an ‘action’ workshop with about 70 affordable housing advocates.
Video of Jan. 28 Workshop
Affordability in Portsmouth NH
Part I: Thinking About Affordability
• What makes a place affordable?
• Why is housing too expensive?
Part II: Affordability Tools
Part III: Q&A and Comment
Action Items from Jan. 29
About 70 participants came up with 11 “action items” for affordable housing. Click below for more information. If you’re interested in working on an idea, send email to email@example.com.
- Hold a Design Competition For Underused Space
- Identify Open Space and Mall-Sprawl-Develop Neighborhood Centers
- Form a Transportation Task Force
- Hold Neighborhood Charrettes (Neighborhood Hubs)
- Target West End Redevelopment
- Design the Missing Middle – Housing Neighborhood by Neighborhood
- Offer More Innovative Housing Solutions – Variety, Infill, Smaller
- Evaluate ‘Unbuildable’ Land
- Change Minimum Lots Sizes, Increase Density
- Encourage Accessory Dwelling Units
- Streamline Land-Use Reviews
- Host an Event for Landlords
Jennifer Hurley Presentation Jan. 28